Monday 25 July 2011

Never did find Alton Towers..

Laugh - I nearly cried .... well laugh until I nearly cried ... as I went though some of the songs I play and tried to see if they were playable on the Uke ..

In between a load of other things in a very busy day - that was the big task of today - learn some new pieces for the Uke  ... the rest of  the things such as Music Smith is doing some T-shirts - and I have order the print for the show - was just about it for the show for today...

I can say with all honesty that its not going to be easy deciding on a couple of new pieces - as once you know the chords its just a matter of making the music more - well - geeky I suppose .. "I'm leaning on the lamp post at the corner of the street" .. hee hee - somehow I don't think so !!!

Now that I am one step closer - two steps back - from the show, I am going to have a night of just sitting..

I always thought that school holidays were the time everyone went away on hols - then somehow (in my head perhaps) this stopped and people stayed around.. but this year - everyone seems to have gone away around this time .. no idea why - maybe they always were and I never noticed?

End of last week I had to go up North to sort some stuff out, and I passed a sign for Alton Towers. Now there is one thing that stands out in my head about Alton Towers... I have never been there.. In my youth I have set off to go there a number of times, but never got there... seriously... My father didn't have a good sense of direction, and he like the rest of us in the family, often set off to go places and get lost going there. So it was with Alton Towers. I can only remember about 8 or 9 times of setting off to get there - and never having got there the first few times, we started packing a picnic and a flask, as more often than not, it would be a country lane - an argument about which direction this place was - then back home again. So the theory was, we might as well have a picnic on route...

If you are thinking what I used to think, then you might say that towards the end, it was more of a case of a cheap day out. Set off pretending to go to Alton Towers, but stop in a lay by after a couple of hours driving around in a circle, have the picnic, and go home..  Well, if it gave my father some pleasure and maybe some amusement, what was the harm.. to this day I have not been to Alton Towers .. I guess I can't face finally putting that ghost to bed..

However there was always one place he could find, his favourite spot, his Mecca, and every year around the same time, we would go there - to the same spot, picking blueberries on the Yorkshire moors. He always found that place !!!

1 comment:

  1. ah yes - the great 'Lets go to Alton Towers' mis direction....remember it well!usually ended up in Buxton as I recall but never actually got out of car (unless it broke down - again!). Those blueberries were good tho'!!

    ReplyDelete