Friday 17 June 2011

Exactly what is asked - nothing more - nothing less !!

Now everyone having struggled with the picture clues yesterday . I feel I should help by saying the first picture is of Cotton Balls .... there now we can push on to the WEEKEND !!! It is a strange feeling I have that leads me into the thoughts that my show is only 6 weeks away - and I am looking forward to it determined to have a giggle during the hour slot I have...

I have played in some rough bars in the North of England - one pub was caught up in the middle of 2 rival Hells Angels  couples having a fight, tossing glasses at each other, and being narrowly missed by some of the rebounds.. this night in particular sits in my memory as they smashed a huge glass mirror in the bar .. no prizes for guessing where I was playing that night !!! and for about 3 weeks I still remember finding glass shards in my guitar case... but a true professional I kept on playing and I think at one stage tried to slow down the rhythm of "the Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel to match the throwing techniques used by these two couples... well if you cant have a giggle during a show - what else is left in life :)

I also remember playing some exceptionally good venues, big Northern clubs such as the Irish Club, which in its day was a heaving mass of people on a Saturday night.. a stage that echoed like the a Slim Whitman song, and 3 X 20min slots... STRICTLY 20 mins... we are not talking about approx 20 mins - we are talking about 20mins bang on - or else..
I was playing with a cleaver guitarist in those days - and - never the ones to under deliver to the audience we were on the last verse of (????) some song ...when they turned off our sound system and over our now fully acoustic last verse we heard in a broad Irish accent "eyes down , on the blue card, its no 8 - I said 8 , can you be quiet people can't hear the bingo !!! " ... yes we had over run by a few seconds.... at exactly  9.15 pm on the dot - they started to call the bingo.... so some 1000 odd people that we thought were listening to us with every breath, were doing their bingo cards ... oh the pain of seeing your ego flushed down a toilet like a disused toilet paper ... A lesson we did not forget - the big venues want EXACTLY what they ask for nothing less and nothing more ... that's it...

Onward to this weekend - when I don't think I will be doing much more to the show than thinking about the structure and what might need to be done to give more tot he audience in terms of Value - as I defiantly wont be giving more in terms of time .. that's a lesson you only need to learn once in a lifetime :)

WEEKEND !!!! enjoy and have a tipple of sherry for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment