Friday 3 June 2011

Freetown - Sierra Leone - West Africa


As you know, if you have read my previous blog Lord Kitchener, my roots, as well as many generations of my family, were born and bred out of West Africa - we are Freetownians from the port town of Freetown in Sierra Leone. One of only a few pictures of these days was kindly posted onto facebook by my sister (who is also in the photo above). I am not going to say which one is me .. just to say that I am in the photo (the good looking one) - along with my cousins - outside the back of the shop we had in the centre of town. Before anyone thinks of making the comment - yes we had colour photos in those days !!!

These were days that stick in the memory for ever, for good and bad reasons. Like the book by Allen Moore The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen where Allan Quatermain was said to be cursed by the fact that Africa would never let him die ... and whilst I know this was set in East Africa - Its a strange feeling of never having left Africa every time I return.

Memory can be rose coloured, but a lot of musical influences came out of those days for me, and as my family were all from the great era of Little Richard, Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis, etc etc.. then this is what we listened to at every BBQ / Party / event. These were entertainers who worked hard to ensure they sold records and made a living from the business. (steps off soap box.. for a while anyway :) ) Music and TV were years behind the UK in terms of what we listened to and watched.

Last night was all around getting the timing and presentation correct on one of the songs - I can say that what I have planned is not going to be easy ... and I still haven't got a clue how to execute it... BUT ...If I could make what happens in my head happen in reality, then its going to be a fun piece... else its going to be a glorified disaster .. (being a half empty glass person I have my thoughts about the outcome of this). Its a brand new music comedy piece called A Young Lad. If you get to the show - watch out for it...

So out to watch a very strange play by Dave St-Pierre in Saddlers Wells tonight - Un peu de tendresse bordel de merde! is about the search for love and the human form. Using humour to tackle taboo subjects, it features 20 dancers, naked both literally and figuratively...

Just the thing for a Bare Guitarist .....

No comments:

Post a Comment